Skip to main content

Riptide


I've always considered myself a strong swimmer - strong enough. I'm never going to win any meets, take home any medals and I certainly won't look elegant while attempting any strokes, but I'm going to stay afloat. I'm more of a fresh water girl - lakes, rivers, streams and, if I must, a pool are my preferred swimming holes. That said, I certainly enjoy the beach, too. However, especially with the beaches I've frequented on the Atlantic, I learned at an early age to respect the ocean water - getting caught up in a riptide or two will teach you some lessons. 

The first time I tangled with a riptide, I didn't realize it in the moment. I just remember Mom frantically screaming at me to get back to shore. I didn't understand why she was angry <she wasn't angry - she was freaking out - her kid was sliding out to sea, but didn't realize it>. It took some time and it seemed like I finally washed up miles away <I'm sure it wasn't "miles">, but I found myself in my Mom's clutches and found out what the fuss was about. I wasn't in trouble! She was just worried about me.*

The second and last time I remember being in a riptide, I was older - mid twenties. My husband and I were swimming idly and the next thing I know, I'd lost sight of our belongings. Naturally, I started to swim, furiously, back in that direction, but to no avail. I became tired and frustrated, as did Chris. I'm unclear at what point we fully realized we'd been swept up in a riptide, but once we did, clearer heads prevailed and we went with it and swam with the current - just as they say to do. We had quite a walk back to our things when we finally hit the shore and we were exhausted, but grateful that we were safe. 

I'll admit that since that time, I rarely make my way in water deeper than my knees on these Atlantic beaches. I'm more cautious and was, no doubt, a nervous mother when my own daughter started venturing out in the breaking waves. 

I find myself in a different sort of riptide right now. I can liken my current experience to both riptide experiences that I can recall. On the one hand, I think I've been in this place for a while now and haven't realized it. However, what I know now is that about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I felt a tug and my instincts told me to fight furiously. Put on a brave face. You're vaccinated now! Be social. Move on. Do the next thing. Get back to the gym. Entirely overhaul your diet and nutrition. Make all the appointments missed during quarantine. Take on new responsibilities at work. Hyper manage the end of the school year. Plan for next year's school year.

Here's the hard truth: I've become very tired and very frustrated. I'm exhausted and weak. I'm in a riptide.

This is a bit of clarity I found in recent days, so no real change in my current psyche as I write, but now that I know - I know what to do. I just need to swim with the current a bit and let it take me where it naturally leads.

I said this the last time I posted and I'm sure to say it again: I need to write and post with more frequency. It helps. I've been writing, but anxiety clutches me and keeps me from posting some of what I've written - it's just too personal. I'm not ready. I may never be ready. 

Speaking of anxiety - it seems I have new friend. She hangs with me with frequency these days. Joy. This is new and different - something to understand and sort through. Another "thing" in my riptide current. Perhaps another "thing" to inspire my writing. We'll see. 

For now, I'm afloat. And I'm just going to keep swimming until I get to solid ground - because it will be there. 


*Dear Mom, I'll add this to the list of "OMG parenting the four of us must have been ROUGH" moments that I'm keeping tabs on. How on earth did you do this four times over? 

Comments

  1. Our moms our quite miraculous, aren’t they???? ❤️ Thanks for another beautiful post. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can say that again...and again and yet again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If I'm Being Honest

I could probably make quite a long list of the various ways in which I continue to struggle with Dad's death. However, I think that because Covid-19 is just so...well...out there, publicized, talked about and lord, politicized, it simply adds to and complicates my grief on a regular basis. It's as if there is a stigma placed on my grief because of the circumstance and cause of death.  This is something I try to reckon with, find peace with, not get emotional about, but, y'all? It's hard. It's real hard. And some of what I'm going to share is ugly. My preference is to stay light hearted when possible, but these thoughts have been weighing heavy on me. Real heavy.  Examples:  Certain Facebook "Friends"  I have Covid deniers in my "friend" group on Facebook. I'm going to classify a Covid denier as one who posts mocking memes about efforts to promote social distancing and mask wearing, those who rant and rave about anything resembling a sligh...

Sloppy and Experimental - a/k/a How I Cope

  I've not written since 2/18/21 and, boy, do I feel it. I mean that literally. My heart hurts, my headaches are fierce. My shoulders and neck are wrought with pressure. There's a high likelihood I'm showing up on zooms looking like this little girl in the photo I've shared...but more to come on her in just a bit. I truly feel better when I write and I know that my body is telling me it's time to release some of this into the interwebs. Life...has just sort of been plodding along. I've done a superior job dodging friends that are reaching out, because, well, I don't know. Why does one dodge a caring outreach? Work keeps on delivering to-do's and action items. That's probably a good thing. The house is certainly waiting on some TLC. My to-do list around this place is mounting. Only last week did all the "Christmas Linens" (tablecloths, napkins, themed hand towels) get properly folded and stowed in their respective cubby. And now, my poor mo...